viking art

This is a blog about my art students at West Columbus High School in Cerro Gordo, N.C. and about my own artwork and travels throughout the world. - Larry Hewett

My Photo
Name:

I am the Instructional Technology Facilitator for Columbus County Schools.

Monday, October 15, 2007

SPARC GRANT FOR WCHS





We here at WCHS are so fortunate in having received this year's SPARC Grant from the N.C. Arts Council. The grant is for $25,000 and will be used for a piece of public art for our school done by a professional N.C. artist. We are the only recipient this year and have received the largest grant ever so far. There were ten artists who applied and one of our committees narrowed it down to the three finalists. Today two of them came to WCHS to talk with two of my art classes. The first artist to come was Ms. Virginia Wright-Frierson, a muralist. She has done many commissioned murals one being a huge painting attached to the ceiling of the building where the shooting took place at Columbine High School. She visited my Advanced Art Class this morning, showed us slides of her work and a video of the making of the Columbine mural. My students really enjoyed talking with her and were very impressed with her paintings. http://home.att.net/~vmwf/

The second artist to visit WCHS today was Mr. Brad Spencer, a sculptor, who specializes in using bricks as his sculptural medium. He and his assistant came to my fourth period Art I class this afternoon. My students and I were overwhelmed with what can be done using bricks. He showed up several small pieces that were used to give clients an idea as to what the finished piece would look like. Then he showed us a slide show of lots of his ceramic sculptures as well as commissioned brick pieces. My students and I were delighted with his work and his visit. Also in attendance were Ms. Linda Bamford from the N.C. Arts Council and Mr. Kelly Jones, Columbus County Arts Supervisor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home