viking art

This is a blog about my art students at West Columbus High School in Cerro Gordo, N.C. and about my own artwork and travels throughout the world. - Larry Hewett

My Photo
Name:

I am the Instructional Technology Facilitator for Columbus County Schools.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

PHOTOS FROM TURKEY DAY FOUR (part 2)









When we first arrived in Iznik we drove past its beautiful lake. We next visited the Iznik Foundation, an organization reviving the tradition of Turkish tile-making. We actually went inside to where the tiles were made, fired and glazed. It was very interesting to see the ladies painstakingly paint on the intricate designs using glaze. The tiles were as expensive as beautiful though. I purchased three miniature tiles smaller than a postage stamp for $10 a piece. When we were invited to go into a showroom where lots of pieces were on display for sale I walked in not noticing where I was going. I felt myself standing on something that was not level with the floor. To my horror I was standing on a large tile that was being displayed on the carpet. I almost panicked as I quickly brushed my shoe print off of it. Can you imagine how much I would have had to pay had it broke? Ouch!!!!!!!!!!

Larry Hewett

2 Comments:

Blogger TuneQueen said...

Great pictures!

August 13, 2008 at 4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry,
I know you felt the spirit in Epherus because I was there in May and was amazed at the the place. I wish all our children could see the things European children can take advantage of without even leaving home. I got a rug while I was there and find it hard to believe they spent three years making them. Of course they will spent 500 years building their churches and then rebuild them after and earthquake or volcano. Where did you go besides Turkey?

Peggy Stanley
TCES

August 15, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home