viking art

This is a blog about my art students at West Columbus High School in Cerro Gordo, N.C. and about my own artwork and travels throughout the world. - Larry Hewett

My Photo
Name:

I am the Instructional Technology Facilitator for Columbus County Schools.

Monday, August 18, 2008

PHOTOS FROM TURKEY DAY SEVEN (part 1)









I'm sorry for taking a couple of days off from uploading the rest of my photos. I was admitted into the hospital Saturday morning as an outpatient to have a kidney stone removed. The procedure was successful but I still have a stint inside my kidney. I'll have to return to the hospital later this week in order to have it removed. Hopefully then everything will be back to normal. Now back to day seven of my trip!

We got on the bus for our journey to Konya. In the 12th and 13th centuries Konya was the capital of the Seljuk Sultanate of Rum, one of the most enlightened and tolerant states of the entire medieval period. It was also home to the great Sufi mystic and poet Rumi, who founded the Mevlevi Order of the Whirling Dervishes. We visited the Museum and Tomb of Rumi, which is one of the supreme achievements of Turkish Art. Its dome was completely covered with an amazingly intricate faience mosaic. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take photos inside.

Larry Hewett

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home