viking art

This is a blog about my art students at West Columbus High School in Cerro Gordo, N.C. and about my own artwork and travels throughout the world. - Larry Hewett

My Photo
Name:

I am the Instructional Technology Facilitator for Columbus County Schools.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Wednesday in Ada and Today in Osu

Wednesday Adams and I went to Ada to visit the two elementary schools that my church and I have adopted. We also went to see little Emmanuel and his mom. We stopped at her house first. It was raining but she was inside sitting on the floor. Oh if you don't know already, their house is made of leaves and the floor is dirt. I only noticed one leak in the thatched roof luckily. The mother was very sweet but didn't speak very much English if any at all. We gave her the fifty dollars from my church. The first thing that she did was ask an older lady visiting her to touch it and bless it. She then gave some of it to the other lady. Adams is hoping that we can collect enough money to either build her a small wooden structure for them to live in or at least to cover the floor so they will be off the dirt. I hope we can make his wish come true!

From there we went to the first of the elementary schools, Gorm. I think Emmanuel was the first one to see us. He was jumping up and down in his wheelchair like a monkey, especially when he saw Adams. They are very good buddies. I got a big hug from him as well. Last year Adams and I took school supplies to the schools. This year we carried about 150-200 pounds of rice. We gave each orphan student about two cups full in a plastic bag. We also gave out some new uniforms and shoes to the most needy. Before leaving we really surprised the teachers with approximately $240 to divide among themselves. They could not believe it. Last year we helped the students, this year the teachers.

Then on the the smallest of the two schools, Dubane. It had poured the night before and the road that we usually take into the school was was away so we had to take another route. As soon as the kids saw the taxi they started screaming, yelling and running toward us. There were about 75 students there that day and only one teacher to take care of them all. Bless his heart. He called three more and asked them to come because we were there. They arrived before we arrived.

The children were so excited to received some new uniforms and two cups of rice. This school was small enough that all of them were able to get some. We were told that lots of the kids were out that day because of the rain. But the news got out somehow about us giving away rice the the kids who were absent came to school to get their share. Why even some mothers came out to see what was going on. Before we left the children had to sing songs of praises to us for our generosity. It really made both of us feel so good inside to know that so many children were going to get a good supper for that night.

On our way out of town we stopped once more at Emmanuel's house to give some rice to his mom. Adams gave her about a gallon. Before we had even left the driveway she had called a neighbor so that she could share the rice with her. It almost brought tears to my eyes to know that someone in such need had the desire to share her good fortune.

Today we went to an art gallery to see one of the best sculptors that I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. He allowed me to stay and watch him complete and small piece of an old African man walking with a stick. It was beautiful. He is represented by Pictorilist Studios in Osu. I just know that his work would be a huge success if he were in the U.S. His name is Henry Modilim and he is from Nigeria. I hoping to help spread his name in the U.S.

Oh we just go t back from visiting Adams' grandmother. I think I took her by shock. She was inside lying down and she came outside to sit with me and Adams. I shook her hand and hugged her neck. She was speaking in Housa and told Adams that she had never spoken with a white man before and she was afraid and wanted to go back inside to lie down. Guess I made a really good impression huh? LOL.

Well I guess I'd better go for now. Take care everybody. Is it hot there? I'm guessing it's been only in the 80s here with a nice breeze blowing all the time. Gotta run.

Larry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home