viking art

This is a blog about my art students at West Columbus High School in Cerro Gordo, N.C. and about my own artwork and travels throughout the world. - Larry Hewett

My Photo
Name:

I am the Instructional Technology Facilitator for Columbus County Schools.

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Papermaking in Jaipur



While in Jaipur we had the pleasure to visit a paper making factory. This was one of my favorite tours of all. Lots of the people in our group did not really like this one but for an artist and art teacher, it was heaven! The factory was in a very poor section of town. The owner had made a deal with a clothing manufacturer. He obtained their scrap cotton cloth of all colors. The colors were sorted and then cut and beat into a pulp. This was made into paper of the same color as the cloth. It is 100% rag, acid free paper. Wow! It was exciting to see the same process that I had taught my elementary students to make paper but on a much larger scale. The first photo is just a small portion of the stacks upon stacks of completed sheets of paper. My tongue was almost hanging out seeing such a beautiful sight! The second photo was taken in the showroom where we were allowed to purchase sheets of paper as well as all kinds of paper products such as books, bags, cards, lamp shades, etc. And yes I did buy a few paper products. Go to the following website to see more of this wonderful factory:
www.handmadepaper.com

Larry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home